Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Dutch Way

Ladies and Gentlemen, Here it is!

In the Netherlands you must own a bicycle. The streets are literally set up for them. Many of them have no curbs so you can ride freely between the street, the bike lanes, and the sidewalks. People in the way? No problem, weave in between them. Cars in the way? No problem. Weave in between them. Basically you are respected as a cyclist and it is the fastest, most efficient way to get around.


"iiiitssss a nnnneww carr!"

My bike (or fiets in dutch)  is a Gazelle Impala. I consider it like an old, rusty Chevy Impala. Its not glamorous but it has wheels and they turn. Good enough here in Nijmegen. At first I was embarrassed to have a rusty old bike like mine but when I looked around at the locals I noticed theirs were like that too. I already feel like I fit in just fine. My bicycle also has many other interesting but necessary features. It has a light in the front and the back (just like cars for riding at night), a bell (to tell people to get their butts out of the way when I am late to class!), a lock (to make sure no one steals my old rusty machine), and of course brakes (which are the pedal backwards kind that I thought only kids could have). All of this I got for 85 euros! I consider that a steal when they say they will buy it back from me for half the price at the end of the semester.


Dutch Speak Dutch.. Makes Since?

Everything I see is in Dutch. Signs, streets, buildings, my washer and dryer.. People in the Netherlands speak fluent Dutch and English. I have found that they are actually very good at English. Of course, they still all speak Dutch. Every time I speak with someone, I always start with "In English Please?" and they will start speaking in English. This is helpful but that still doesn't help me figure out the washing machines or when signs say the toilet is out of order. For this reason, I thought I would try to learn a tiny bit of Dutch. This week I am spending all of my time with international students. This means no one else speaks Dutch either. I luckily met two friends who are very helpful with learning the language. One of them is from Belgium and knows a little bit of Dutch and the other is from Germany and says those two languages are very similar. They are the ones who help me with pronouncing words on signs, reading menus and practicing my first Dutch words. Right now I only know two phrases. Since in this region they are very big into going to the pubs at night, they have taught me "een bierje alsejblieft" and "proost!" These translate to "one beer please" and "cheers!" Before my mother gets angry, I have to mention, I tried saying the first to a Dutch person and they didn't understand me so I think I will have to stick with soda and studying!

(Left: Leticia from Brussels, Belgium. Right: Lena from Munich, Germany)

Home Sweet Holland

Before studying abroad I was warned that I would be homesick from time to time. They said about a month or so in I would really question why I decided to go abroad and really want to come home. Although I have not exactly felt that way yet, I am homesick. I am now and I was before and I think I will always be a little bit. I love my friends and family back home as well as what I know to be familiar. I am really enjoying my first week but of course, it is not my home! This is definitely a learning experience for me including learning how to cope with change. 




(I took this photo from the top floor of the tallest building on campus. My dorm is just beyond the green buildings at the top of the photo)

I have a break next week so I will probably be writing soon about my experiences around town and with the culture. My courses begin when September begins so be looking out for my take on Dutch courses!

1 comment:

  1. Your campus looks so pretty! Enjoy your bike... I wish they treated cyclists like that here. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete